If you ever wondered about the pros and cons of dismantling the LCBO, I highly recommend reading this Ottawa Life article written by fellow wine writer Michael Pinkus. Download the PDF here.
Dan Donovan, publisher of Ottawa Life, came to the following conclusions:
1. The wineries in this Province deserve better. MUCH BETTER.
2. The taxpayers deserve more choice and a free market wine system.
3. The bonuses are absolutely disgusting and immoral. Where is the leadership?
4. The province is losing two hundred million dollars per year in revenue by keeping this bloated beast of a monopoly afloat.
5. The extra money that would be earned via taxes by getting privatizing the LCBO and allowing free competition could go into healthcare, to schools and to paying down the massive provincial debt and deficit.
6. Ontario wineries should have unlimited access to sell their wines across the Province. They are amongst some of the best wines in the world and the LCBO works against the smaller and mid-sized Ontario wineries ““the people with a passion for quality and excellence while paying its bloated and arrogant LCBO monopoly functioning management team millions in bonuses while hundreds of thousands of Ontarians are laid off during a global recession. Read it and Weep.