COMING TO THE COUNTY? GET THE INSIDER’S GUIDE
Your first pick-up on arrival in the County should be the 2012 Insider’s Guide (available almost everywhere) which will provide you with tons of info on good stuff to do. Most of it compiled by yours truly and designed by Kato. Shopping, recreation, art, music, birding and of course, food and drink. I suggest you take one or two of the “˜road trips’ combined with a “˜wine trail’.
Some must-dos, arranged from east to west:
• Gourmet pizza at Norm Hardie Winery. And visit neighbouring wineries, Rosehall Run and Casa-Dea.
• More wineries close by ““ Hinterland for sparkling and Karlo Estates for rustic ambiance.
• Restaurants in Wellington ““ Tall Poppy, East & Main, and Pomodoro. On Saturday mornings, check out the Humble Bread at the market, and consider take-out from one of the restaurants for a lake-side picnic in Wellington Park. Lake Ontario never looked better.
• Wineries along Closson Road: The Grange, Closson-Chase and The Old Third.
• Huff Estates Winery & Café. Also on site, the amazing Oeno Gallery and Sculpture Gardens
• Stores on the main street in Picton ““ Books and Company & Miss Lily’s Café, French Country and City Revival vintage store. Casual times at Buddha Dog, The Regent Café, and Acoustic Grill.
• Take the drive to the South Shore via Lake on the Mountain patio/restaurant, and Devil’s Wishbone Winery. Following Bongards Crossroad head down to The County Cider patio/café. Afterwards cruise the Waupoos shoreline as you head to this weekend’s big attraction ““ the Heirloom Tomato Festival at Vicki’s Veggies on Morison Point road. ~ Over a hundred heirloom tomatoes to taste this weekend!