After several years of research, we have found the ‘perfect spot’ for our south of France tour. At a winery of course! And it’s close to the historic sites such as Carcasonne, the charming city of Narbonne, and the Mediterranean. The winery was recently voted “one of the 10 most beautiful wine chateaux in France.” Should you decide to join us, you’re sure to agree it was worth the wait.
Let’s start by telling you about our host, Victoria, a natural at making people feel at home away from home. Formerly a tour guide and director with Butterfield & Robinson, she is highly skilled in planning adventures, and naturally we are delighted to have her assistance in launching our first south of France trip.
In 2006 Victoria and her husband Floris planted their roots at their chateau to pursue their respective passions: hospitality and wine. Now fully immersed in their new life they welcome guests, make award-winning wines and share the wonders of the Languedoc Roussillon.
The Languedoc Roussillon is one of the largest wine regions in the world and recently it has attracted top winemakers from all over the world in search of ‘old vines’ and the possibility of creating something ‘different’. Reds and Rosé are the mainstay, but the sub region of Limoux has been making sparkling wine for longer than Champagne. The foods are typical hearty south of France such as cassoulet, and the scenery ranges from flat to stunning high-mountain. Our reason for choosing this part of the south of France is it’s a lot less touristy and expensive than Provence – but every bit as beautiful. We will be revisiting this spring to firm-up our schedule, but here is a list of what’s in the works.
- Lunch on a barge along the Canal de Midi
- Personal cellar tour and wine blending exercise
- Privately guided tour of La Cite de Carcassonne, and visit to the market
- A ‘fancy’ picnic in the vineyards
- Hike and picnic to the Cathar castles of Lastour
- Visit to the great Abbey and village of Lagrasse
- Trip to the seaside – the oyster/salt farm in Gruissan
- Winery visits/tastings in the Minervois and Limoux regions
- A bike ride along the canal
- Giant Paella dinner in the garden
- Market visits (two!) followed by pot-luck meals at the Chateau
- and our usual few surprises
Maximum 18 participants
COST – $3495 pp based on double occupancy, including all taxes SOLD OUT!
*Single supplement: $950
Note: Our location is ideal to extend your holiday to Barcelona, Provence, or…. !
WHO SHOULD TRAVEL WITH US?
Those with a love of adventure and social interaction are obvious candidates. On the physical side, good walking ability and drinking stamina are not only essential, but mandatory. Meals are on the European clock– starting late and finishing late – celebrating time at the table. Basically we invite people who are interested in stepping outside their comfort zone and embracing a European experience. Filling the eyes, bellies and imagination with things unfamiliar. We welcome people who come hungry for activity and participation – ‘adult camp’ as Kato calls it – and FUN. While we are certain that you will enjoy our many activities, we do allow ‘free time’ for exploring self-interests. The more you know about our destinations before heading-out, the more fulfilling your trip will be. Do NOT come with us if you want a conventional ‘sightseeing’ tour with no participation on your part.
Our accommodations are chosen for a combination of location, intimacy and comfort. Finally a word on why we do not publish daily itineraries. One reason is we like to remain flexible and work around weather and local events. But more importantly, we believe that the best travel experiences are built around daily surprises – a trust between the host and the guests. Those who have travelled with us have said that they enjoyed the surprise element as it kept them ‘in the moment’. We ask that you greet us with enthusiasm, a trusting open mind, good health, and an empty wine glass (not for long!).
Escort services of Billy Munnelly and Kato Wake
7 nights ‘self contained villa’ accommodation
5 dinners with lots of wine
5 lunches with wine
All coach travel in Languedoc Roussillon
Private coach pick-up, and return to Toulouse Airport for those on official flight
Wine for pot-luck meals
Abbey, castle and history tours
Wine tastings with Billy
Visits to, and VIP tastings at wineries
Sparkling wine reception upon arrival
A few meals not mentioned above
Personal items and drinks
Billy’s Best Bottles reserves the right to change the itinerary.
September 13 Air Transat TS485 17:45 Toronto (YYZ) to 19:00 Montreal (YUL)
TS132 21:25 depart Montreal (YUL), Arrive 10:25 Toulouse (TLS) September 14
September 21 TS133, Depart 12:05 Toulouse (TLS), Arrive 14:05 Montreal (YUL)
1. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with SOUTH of FRANCE 2017 TOUR in the subject headline.
2. Fill out this form: http://www2.ettravel.com/ET/bbb-france-langudoc-2017/
3. Send a deposit for $500 per person to secure your spot to Kelly Richards, Ellison Travel and Tours, 18 Victoria Street South, P O Box 303, Goderich, Ontario N7A 4C6 (Phone: 519-524-8692 or toll-free at 1-877-847-1272) Make your cheque out to Ellison Travel and Tours and include your full names (exactly as they appear in your passports), dates of birth, address, contact number and email.
4. Once the trip is confirmed, you will receive further payment instructions. Please consider booking your flight with the above mentioned Kelly Richards from Ellison Travel & Tours (https://ettravel.com/, email: email@example.com). Should you wish to book add-on time in Europe, she will be happy to assist.
Up to 90 days before departure, full refund less deposit.
59 to 89 days prior to departure – 50% refund less the deposit. However, should we can find someone to fill your spot, we’ll issue a full refund less your deposit.
60 days prior to departure – no refund. We recommend cancellation insurance.